There are career opportunities for supply chain innovation. These could be technology scouts for a big company or intrapreneurs. They could also be inventors and entrepreneurs who start new companies to commercialize a new innovation. Supply chain innovators get involved in government and university research, and in the world of venture capital. They need to be technical enough to understand the technology and they need to be strategic enough to explain the potential value and impacts in terms that will be relevant to a C-level executive. If you look at all of the new technologies on the horizon today—from AI to 3D printing to blockchain—figuring out how to integrate those into the supply chain is more than a full-time job.
- These days, there's a constant stream of news…about 3-D printing, block chains, drones,…artificial intelligence, and more.…With so many new technologies…coming onto the scene every year,…there are lots of opportunities for innovation.…I have friends who've created new kinds of software,…invented new devices,…and even patented new processes and techniques,…but then, they need to figure out how…to turn their clever idea into a viable business.…
Being a supply chain innovator can actually become a career.…Many of these folks become entrepreneurs…and build their own companies.…Some of them do it with their own money,…and some get venture capital investments.…Then, there are other folks who drive innovation…from inside of an established firm.…These folks are called intrepreneurs.…The great thing about being an intrepreneur…is that you generally have access…to a lot more money and talent.…
There are also folks who build careers…as technology scouts.…They generally work for bigger companies,…and their job is to go looking for new technologies…
- Explain the best approach for transitioning into a supply chain position.
- Determine the types of supply chain jobs that are the best fit for a given set of skills.
- Interpret the knowledge and skills needed for a supply chain job.
- Describe how to use resources for building a career roadmap in supply chain management.
- Identify concepts in building a professional development dashboard.