Not even machines are meant to run nonstop forever. Follow along and learn about the various stages of consciousness and how managing your time effectively can lead to better performance in life and in work.
- [Narrator] My great grandparents grew olives, … and my brother runs the olive processing company … they started, so I've learned a lot … about olives over the years. … Olives are an alternate bearing crop, … which means that they grow a lot of fruit one year, … then mostly branches the following year, … creating what is called a short crop. … They produce less fruit one year in order … to produce a large crop the next. … We can all learn from the olive tree. … In addition to being a symbol of peace, … olives are also a metaphor for how rest and rejuvenation … are essential to productivity. … In today's hyper-busy world, most people … don't rest or rejuvenate much. … We don't allow ourselves … the non-instrumental activities in life. … Research does find that consistent and deliberate practice … leads to elite performance, but focused work … is not the same as unending work. … Even Olympic athletes must train and rest, or they get hurt. … Fruit trees forced to produce for more than one season …
This audiobook was created by Penguin Random House. We are pleased to host this content in our library.
- How to stop overworking
- The importance of recess breaks
- Determining your top priorities
- How to say no to all non-priorities
- Eliminating junk stimuli and mental clutter
- Strategies for reducing low-level stressors
- Swapping fear and stress for courageous thoughts