In this video, gain knowledge of how a parallel career can be helpful in changing careers. Based on what is missing from your career, determine what types of parallel opportunities might best to build your next career.
- If you've found that you're not aligned…with your current role but need to continue to meet…your financial obligations and maintain your well being…you may want to consider creating a parallel career.…A parallel career allows you to keep the stability…of your current position while taking on…a part time opportunity at the same time.…This way you can gain the skills, knowledge,…and professional connections in a new industry…and fill any voids in your professional life.…Depending on what's missing from your career,…you can find an array of opportunities…that will fill the void and help you…make a longer term transition.…
If you've identified that you're missing alignment…with the vision and mission of your organization…you can think about linking the skills…you bring to your current organization to nonprofit work.…For example, if you have a firm belief in sustainability,…you could bring your finance skills to a nonprofit…like the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust…as a board member.…Many of these organizations…
- Name the norms that are used to define success.
- Cite the importance of exploring new work roles mid-career.
- Define a parallel career.
- Summarize the salary considerations you should take into account when changing careers.
- Identify the factors that can lead to a promotion.
- Explain how to play to your strengths.