How you say words is as important as the words themselves. In this video, learn how to use techniques to sound more confident.
- I want to talk about something … many of us do without even realizing it? … It's very common? … In fact, it's called high rising terminal? … That's a fancy term for what most of us call uptalk. … Uptalk is when we end sentences on up inflections. … Uptalk undermines our authority … and makes us sound uncertain … because every sentence is ending … with the equivalent of a question mark. … My name is Jeff Ansell? … Can somebody please confirm that? … A study conducted years ago in Australia … found that uptalk is twice as prevalent among young people … as it is in older people, … and even though men do it too, … it's women who tend to engage in uptalk more often. … The Australian researchers think women use uptalk more … to facilitate conversation, … thinking that it encourages others … to participate in a conversation. … Some people think, too, … that uptalk is used to subtly let others know … we're not quite finished speaking yet, … thus discouraging others from jumping in … and interrupting us. …
- Organizing your thoughts
- Speaking slowly, naturally, and confidently
- Breathing properly
- Using your body to reinforce speech
- Managing facial expressions
- Handling nervousness
- Voice modulation, eye contact, and gestures
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Be a Better Communicator
2. Honing Your Message
3. Say It Like You Mean It
4. Look Like You Mean It
5. Confronting Anxiety
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.