Learn how to build a support system when depressed.
- If you needed crutches or a sling…after a physical injury, you would gladly…accept the support while you recover, right?…In fact, without it, you might take much longer to heal.…Well, it's the same with depression.…Since depression is an illness,…you need support to assist you during your recovery, too.…So what kinds of support should you seek?…At home, get help from your friends and family.…Studies have shown that peer and family support…can actually help reduce the symptoms of depression.…
That's in part because those who are depressed…are often lonely, and social support…helps ease the feeling of being disconnected.…So talk to people you can rely on,…and confide in them as often as you can.…And if you're not ready to turn to people,…a little pet therapy can improve your mood, too.…If you can take care of an animal,…consider getting a cat or dog to keep you company.…At work, the best support person will be different…for different people, depending on the resources available…to you and who you consider trustworthy.…
- Recognize the symptoms of depression.
- Explain the process of reframing.
- Identify the most effective type of distraction.
- Recall how to avoid biased thinking when you’re depressed.
- Name the strategy used to empathize with others when you are depressed.
- Explain how long it takes for people to recover from depression.