The sequence of a deal matters so you don't give away things too early in the process. In this video, discover how to deliberately sequence your deal.
- There's a sequence to every deal. … The reason sequence matters is you don't want to give away … things too early in the process. … It's okay to come to terms on a point and then pause … and then say you know what, let's come back to this later … and let's negotiate a different point in this deal. … When you can create a story line that makes your position … make sense and make it seem like the right thing to do … at every step of the way, your odds of being successful … in a negotiation go up. … Understand too, your counterpart is going to have their … own story. … Let me show you how this works. … I was doing a deal where I was trying to sell some training … courses and what that included was course delivery, … coaching, development of content, some customization, … an intellectual property license, payment terms, … and insurance and discounts and pricing for future courses. … There were a lot of components to this deal. … The one that mattered the most to me was pricing … for those future courses. …
- Explore methods for defining all of your negotiation options.
- Recall how to make concessions when appropriate.
- Select the best negotiation style and strategy.
- Determine the most favorable deal structure.
- Support your anchor position.
- Recognize how to sequence your deals.
- Track negotiation points over time.
- Identify the most common negotiation pitfalls.