- Identify the major financial pillars in a retail-based business.
- Prepare for your first day by overviewing staff, products, and logistics in advance.
- Recognize the high value times to speak up and ask questions.
- Recall how to prioritize and position opportunities for improvement.
- Explore how to distinguish yourself as the most valuable player in the eyes of your boss.
Skill Level Beginner
- Retail sales. (bells tinkling) It's the ultimate first job. Okay, even if you don't feel that way, it can be a great way to jumpstart your career (coins jingling) and make some money. But in order to rock it, you'll need to be prepared, eager to learn, and ready to take initiative. I'm Elizabeth McLeod. I have a background in organizational psychology. And now my job is studying how to make work better. And I've helped a lot of retail-based businesses become more engaging, more profitable, and better places to work.
But having a great job experience isn't all on your new company. You've got a role to play too. In this LinkedIn Learning course, I'll walk you through the basics of retail. How you can set yourself up for success and climb the ladder. Plus I'll share a few of the most common mistakes employees make in retail, some of which I made, and how you can avoid them. So clock in, caffeinate up, and let's get going.