Learn how the rise of productization is driving artificial intelligence adoption, along with the implications for the project management profession.
- Imagine a world where everything is productized and I do mean everything. By productization, I mean an offering is packaged in such a way that it resembles a product, even if it's a service. This way it can be marketed, sold, and delivered in a consistent manner. With over 100 million subscribers worldwide, Amazon Prime is a textbook example of this concept and practice. In exchange for a fee, subscribers get access to a collection of services and benefits, but that's just one example.
Think about it. Almost everything is being productized, from hailing a ride to reserving a hotel room. Here's the thing. In a productized environment, software and automation run the show. Meanwhile artificial intelligence works in the background making critical decisions. In the case of Amazon Prime, an AI algorithm takes customer data, synthesizes it, and dynamically customizes the customer experience. It does this by presenting products and services the customer is more likely to use.
This causes them to stay on the platform longer and ultimately spend more money. The implications of this for Project Management are huge. For one, when everything is productized scope and schedules become nebulous. Unlike standard products and services, productized solutions are never really completed or fully turned over to the end customer. They're ongoing. This means solutions are constantly being improved to meet customers' evolving wants and needs.
These solutions rely less on traditional project based delivery methods and more on the product development based ones. As a result, organizations shift their focus from how the solution is being delivered to what is being delivered at any given time. In this new world flexibility and adaptability are key to meeting customers' needs. AI can work in the background to streamline the entire process and make the most current information readily accessible.
This way rapid decisions can be made and delivery can be expedited.
- The impact of AI on project management
- Major changes driving AI adoption
- Evolving work trends
- How the demand for predictability is driving AI
- Preparing for disruption by anticipating change
- Leveraging human creativity
- Initiating, planning, executing, and closing projects with AI