Learn how to respond to an offer. Gain time to review the compensation package, ask clarifying questions, and compare it to your current situation.
- Once you've gotten through the interview process,…and you're given a job offer,…you may wonder, what do you say and do next?…It can be very tempting to say yes right away,…especially when you've been searching for a while.…But it's important for you to take the time…to review the offer carefully.…Your understanding for the full offer…puts you in a better position to ask for more.…Once you receive your offer, let the employer know…you're really excited about the opportunity…and that you'd like to take some time…to review it in detail.…
It's appropriate to ask for the offer in writing…and a timeline for getting back to them.…This gives you breathing room for the next step,…reviewing the offer.…For example, if I was made an offer for a new job,…I might say, fantastic, I'm really excited about the offer.…I'd like to take some time to think it through,…would it be possible to get this in writing?…And when do you need to hear back from me?…It'll be tempting to focus just on the salary…but you need to review all of the benefits…
- Recall what percentage of total compensations is through a benefits package.
- Explain which approach to begin within during a negotiation process.
- Recognize characteristics of a host-based approach.
- Identify the purpose of an equity review.
- Determine which steps to take when leaving a job for another.