Explore some of the people and resource management issues that need addressing in a program and how to prepare for this to ensure the program runs smoothly.
- Running a program is a balancing act … between the delivery of the corporate strategy … by delivering change whilst maintaining stability … with business as usual. … It's about balancing resources and as you can imagine, … this can be pretty tricky, … especially when there are multiple programs … being delivered within the organization. … So let's take a look at some of the challenges you'll face … as a program manager when resourcing a program. … First of all, finding the resources. … Where will they come from … and what level of skill is required? … Rarely does a business have spare skilled resources … available to work on the program, … so they need to be acquired. … To overcome this, in the definition phase, … you'll need to plan in advance the type … and the quantity of resources needed … for at least the first phase of the program. … Thereafter, as each phase approaches its close, … you'll need to plan for the next phase. … The business can then assess … if they'll bring in outside contractors …
- Recognize three elements of a program.
- Recall the information provided by the target operating model (TOM).
- Identify the phase in which the program business case is reviewed.
- Name the major factor used to decide what constitutes each phase in a program.
- Summarize the role of a project manager.
- Detail the responsibilities of the sponsoring group.
- Explain what the completion of the post-transition activities provides for a program.