Changes are implemented to a supply chain through projects, so there are lots of jobs for project and program managers. Project managers work across functions and interact with customers and suppliers. Project managers may have lots of responsibility and limited authority. PMs need great communications skills in order to meet deadlines. Project managers need to have business acumen. Multiple projects are grouped together into a program. Program managers need all of the skills that project managers have, but they use them at a higher level. Project managers can work across any part of the supply chain. They may work on several projects at the same time. The projects may be short term or long term assignments and often involve travel.
- The one thing that's constant … in any supply chain is change. … And the way we implement change is through projects. … That means there's a lot of great opportunities … for project managers who have a good understanding … of supply chains. … What sorts of jobs are we talking about? … Maybe we're changing suppliers or onboarding new customers, … upgrading information systems, improving processes, … or handling mergers and acquisitions. … These are all projects and they can be short-term gigs … or long-term assignments. … They often involve travel and project managers … may work on several of them at the same time. … Let's take a quick look at some of the things … you need to consider when it comes to managing … supply chain projects. … First, project management is a discipline … with it's own set of tools, rules, and jargon. … PMs help to set the goals for a project … and then make sure that there's a working plan in place … to achieve those goals. … You can pick up a lot of good project management skills …
- Explain the best approach for transitioning into a supply chain position.
- Determine the types of supply chain jobs that are the best fit for a given set of skills.
- Interpret the knowledge and skills needed for a supply chain job.
- Describe how to use resources for building a career roadmap in supply chain management.
- Identify concepts in building a professional development dashboard.