Create a shared understanding of why inclusion is important for your team and why diversity matters in your broader organization. Give everyone a chance to participate in these efforts. For example, men report feeling excluded from efforts to include women. Each person on your team brings a unique set of characteristics and experiences. How do you create an environment that makes everyone feel comfortable bringing their "true self" to the office without feeling like an outsider?
- Research consistently shows us that diverse teams have…a competitive advantage, but diversity alone isn't enough.…What gives diverse teams the extra edge…is the ability to innovate and solve complex problems…and that isn't simply about the makeup of the team.…It's also about whether or not the team is inclusive.…If you're leading a team, you can take their performance…to the next level by establishing a culture of inclusivity.…But what exactly is inclusion?…According to the Society of Human Resources Managers,…inclusion is the achievement of a work environment…in which all individuals are treated fairly and respectfully…and have equal access to opportunities and resources…and can contribute fully to the organizations' success.…
So, how does one make a team inclusive?…Well, when was the last time you really felt included?…Chances are it's much easier to think of an example…of a time when you felt excluded.…For whatever reason, you felt devalued…like an outsider from the group.…Those memories stand out to us much more…
- Define “inclusion”.
- Recall the negative impact of unconscious bias.
- List five tips to help you keep an open mind.
- Recognize the benefits of humility.
- Identify the role of an ally.
- Name two effective strategies used to collect feedback from a team.