What must be considered when making presentations in the public sector? It's a little different than when making presentations in private industry. In this video, learn three things you must do to prepare to make presentations when leading in government.
- According to a Chapman University survey,…fear of public speaking is America's biggest phobia.…In fact, people are more afraid of making a presentation…than they are of heights, bugs or snakes.…Well, if you work in government…and you're in a leadership role,…you will eventually have to step up and make presentations.…So I'm going to tell you the three things that are basic…to a good presentation.…First thing, who's your audience?…Why are they here?…How much do they already know about your topic?…How much do they want to know,…and just as important, how much do they need to know?…Second, create content that's relevant to the audience.…
Tailor the structure, information and choice of words…to their level of understanding.…Keep it short and simple and stick to the topic.…Create no more than three speaking points,…and use an appropriate opening and closing…to support your points.…So when announcing budget cuts,…tell what cuts are to be made,…when they'll go into effect…and briefly describe how they'll effect work operations.…
- Explore ways to translate work objectives into plans in government.
- Determine the best ways to hire staff that will help the team strive for excellence.
- Examine the essential components for leading through coaching and feedback.
- Identifying the importance of listening skills in effective communication.
- Determine ways to create innovative solutions in government.
- Examine how to find the most effective avenues to continually improve customer service.
- Explore the major components involved in effectively and efficiently serving the public.