You can try different negotiating styles and structures in business and everyday life. In this video, learn how to put the negotiating techniques from this course into practice.
- As you look to apply … these negotiating tools and techniques, … I encourage you to take the following steps. … First, pick a recent negotiation you've done. … Look at everything you did well … and things that didn't go well. … Write those things down and focus on improving them … in a future negotiation. … Next, pick a current or future negotiation … and lay out a clear plan of attack. … Look at the structure of the deal, the players involved, … your negotiating style and strategy, … some of the techniques you're going to apply. … And be deliberate about following the process. … Identify some of the techniques like the invisible man, … the bogey, the nibble, that you haven't used before, … and try them out in a low-stakes negotiation, … where if they go wrong … there's not going to be a lot of damage. … Next, practice negotiating with coworkers … like your boss or some of your colleagues … or members of your team. … Get feedback from them on what you're doing well … and what you can improve. …
- Explore methods for defining all of your negotiation options.
- Recall how to make concessions when appropriate.
- Select the best negotiation style and strategy.
- Determine the most favorable deal structure.
- Support your anchor position.
- Recognize how to sequence your deals.
- Track negotiation points over time.
- Identify the most common negotiation pitfalls.