Join Scott Shute for an in-depth discussion in this video Preparation for counting breaths, part of Mindful Meditations for Work and Life.
- [Instructor] In the following exercise, … we'll learn the technique of counting breaths. … When we count breaths, … we're giving our mind something to do. … And when we can get the mind to focus on the counting, … we can help tame that monkey mind … that often gets in our way. … The deep breathing we'll use activates … our parasympathetic nervous system, … which helps flush the stress hormones, … like adrenaline and cortisol, from our system. … We're calming the body. … We're calming the mind. … This is a great technique for us to use … to develop an increased focus … and strengthen our ability to practice longer. … We might start by doing this technique … for just a few minutes, … and over time we'll look to build our stamina … up to 15 or 20 minutes per session. … …
- Adapting your posture and body language
- Breathing exercises
- Arrival practice
- Body scanning
- Loving kindness
- Sound-based exercise
- Keeping your meditation practice going
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying the Groundwork for Success with Meditation
2. Three Breaths
Three breaths practice1m 55s
Arrival practice4m 38s
4. Counting Breaths
5. Deep Breathing
7. Body Scan
Body scan practice14m 26s
9. Sound-Based Exercise: Singing Hu
10. Making It Stick
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.