Join Henna Inam for an in-depth discussion in this video Practice: Calm the mind, part of Mindfulness Practices.
- This practice is to calm the mind and relax the body whenever you need to let go of overwhelm. Find a quiet space and shut off any distractions. Sit comfortably, relaxing your shoulders, your feet on the floor. Close your eyes or soften your gaze. Put your hand on your belly below the navel. Breathe in through your nose. Feel the belly rise as you breathe in. feeling the belly fall. Now, start to deepen your breath with a long exhale. Long exhales activate our parasympathetic nervous system to help us feel calm and relaxed. In this practice, we will continue to breathe deeply and release stress from each part of the body. If your mind wanders during this body scan, that's normal. Mindfulness practice is about bringing the mind being supported by the ground. Now, move your focus to your lower leg, below your knees. Deep breath in. (inhales deeply) Notice if there's any tension in the muscles. As you breathe out, let the tension go. Feel gratitude for how your legs help you move toward what matters to you. Now let's move to your glutes. Now become aware of your torso, your chest, your shoulders, your back, your neck. of our responsibilities in our torso. Look to see where there's tension. Thank your torso and spine for helping you stand up for what's important to you. Now, let's move to your hands, your arms, your fingers, and even your fingertips. As you put your awareness in the palms of your hands, notice if they wake up with any subtle energy. Our hands give us the ability to create, to write, to shape, to feed, to nurture. Breathing in, give thanks for all they do for you. Breathe out fully and let the tension go. As you take a deep breath in (inhales deeply), Relax your jaw. your ability to speak, to listen, You can pause the video here Your body thanks you for it and so will the important people in your life.
- Releasing stress
- Improving focus and creativity
- Finding meaning
- Cultivating joy
- Collaborating with difficult people
- Preparing for challenging conversations
- Being resilient after failure
- Facing fear
- Successfully handling change and crisis