Simon explains how to build a personal board of directors. This group of people serves as your advisory board. He explains what to look for in a board, how to select the people who are on your board, and how to communicate with them over time.
- When I first started out on my own, … I was overconfident and not open to other perspectives. … Everything was about me. … What made a difference in how I saw the world … and business was my personal board of directors. … Let's look at how you can build and leverage your own board … of directors to increase your confidence and learn … from their experience more easily than you might think. … To begin, identify three to five diverse people you trust … from different backgrounds with unique skillsets. … Find four you naturally connect with and at least one … who has a totally different viewpoint. … Their opposing input it will expand your world view. … These people will act as your personal board of directors. … They will close your knowledge gaps … and help you move forward. … Early on in my career, I made a critical misstep by talking … to the media and saying I wanted to be the CEO … of the company. … Needless to say, HR paid me a visit. … I consulted with one of my board members, …
- Explain the importance of giving a good first impression.
- Recognize the importance of creating a shared bond.
- Identify tools for building relationships online.
- Recognize the right time to become a mentor to someone else.
- Name the factors that will help you identify the sweet spot for creating a project that serves both you and your organization.