This video helps you learn how to operationalize DIBs in small ways through moments that matter—gratitude, helping other voices be heard, welcome others to the group, and more.
- My hope when you learn about DIBs and especially about belonging, is that you offer up belonging moments throughout your day. Just give a belonging moment. You don't need to ask permission. You don't have to create a program. You don't need a lot of data behind you, but if you see someone eating by themselves, say, "Would you like some company?" When you say good morning and you ask how someone is, stop and listen. When you have a one-on-one put down your device. When you really want to be present, seek to understand and appreciate people's time. Create a belonging moment. And if you do that, you yourself will feel more connected to these people that you're working you. You will get the gift of knowing who they are as human beings. And think about the next time you introduce them, can you introduce the human and not what they do? So if you spend some time with me and listen to DIBs, I think the takeaway is it's a journey. It takes self-awareness, being courageous to look at yourself and what you're doing right and what you can improve upon: that you can give belonging moments to others, be intentional and staying curious. You don't have to understand what everyone's gone through, you just have to respect who they are and seek that difference at work at home because you'll be better for it. Like we will be better for it. And if someone accepts you truly uniquely for who you are and seeks you out for that, that joy that you get, that smile that it brings, is contagious. And the next time you go in to solve a problem, you're going to take more risks. You're going to raise your hand, you're voice will get louder and it'll be heard, and you'll make someone else richer for having been in the room in your authentic way. So DIBs helps you for sure. DIBs help the people around you. DIBs help your company thrive and evolve with the competition, with the marketplace, because there's not a thing in this world that stays the same. We're always evolving, and DIBs gives us the grace to evolve with humanity.
- Determine what prevents a company from being equitable.
- Explain the importance of storytelling.
- Construct how an interview process should work that would enable you to hire diverse talent.
- Describe the purpose of listening to employees.
- Determine the factors for choosing DIBs role models in a company.