Learn how to unpack who your business truly serves. Review the demographic and psychographic strategy used with organizations large and small to zoom in on your end impact.
- One thing that we have to get crystal clear on is this, money and meaning are not two dispirit things. You know sometimes people think that working in a for-profit business means selling your soul, but we do not believe that. We want to share some information from you about how capitalism, actually lifts people out of poverty. - [Co-Host] In 1820 the share of the global population living in poverty was 94% and 84% of people were living in extreme poverty, and then the industrial revolution caused business to boom and capitalism was soaring.
- [Host] So by 1992, the poverty rate had dropped to 51% and the extreme poverty rate had dropped to 24%, and one of the big reasons is capitalism business actually lifts economies, and it lifts individual people. - Right, so if your organization provides something that customers are buying and people need, the work you do matters. Thinking about how your work impacts customers, and the community, and how your specific job impacts those people increases your sense of purpose.
- So get specific, ask yourself, what would happen if we weren't here? You know if you work in IT, or finance, or operations, those jobs might not be glamorous but they're critical to making the wheels of commerce spin, and they make peoples lives easier. - Absolutely, and if your heart is calling you to do something else, that's fine, but we want to put forth the idea that you can create a meaningful life in your current job. - And it starts with identifying who your work impacts? Who benefits? How do you make a difference in your part of the world? - And remember that money and meaning, they're not in conflict with each other and that they're linked.
As Rabbi Daniel Lapin says, "Take out a dollar bill and look at it. "Now pat yourself on the back, "because you're looking at a certificate of performance." - [Host] You know one of the things I love is he says, "If you did not rob or steal from anyone "to obtain that dollar, if you have not defrauded anyone "or persuaded your government to seize it "from a fellow citizen, then you have only obtained "that dollar in one other way, "you must have pleased someone." - Your work is making a difference to the human race and you don't have to choose between money and meaning.
You can have both and you deserve both.
- Identify the fundamentals of connecting money with meaning at work.
- Examine the art of framing as it pertains to your job.
- Explore ways of utilizing stories to animate a meeting.
- Discover the best steps to use when dealing with naysayers.
- Break down the fundamentals of connecting your life with your work by bringing purpose with you.