Simon discusses the importance of being able to influence your boss. He gives strategies and tips for building rapport with your boss and managing upwards.
- I once had a leader who regularly made demands of me … that I didn't agree with, … and it showed up in my performance review. … Then I realized that sometimes, it's not personal. … It's a job, … and I learned a valuable lesson. … In the end, I built a relationship with my boss … by working to become his ally, … and then used that good will to negotiate … for what I needed. … Essentially, I learned how to manage up. … Let's explore the tools you need … to build a relationship with your boss … that will help you establish trust and gain influence. … Managing up starts with asking, … "What else can I do?" on a regular basis. … You want to be the person who's lightening the load, … keeping your boss in the loop, … and making it easier to get work done. … One of the most effective ways to do this … is to ask your boss pointed questions like … what can I take off your plate that you don't like doing? … What meetings are you unable to attend … that I can go to for you? … Take notes and report back. …
- Explain the importance of giving a good first impression.
- Recognize the importance of creating a shared bond.
- Identify tools for building relationships online.
- Recognize the right time to become a mentor to someone else.
- Name the factors that will help you identify the sweet spot for creating a project that serves both you and your organization.