Making products involves decisions about what to make, how much to make, how to make it, and when to make it. Production planning and control focuses on maximizing resource capacity utilization, understanding your constraints, and being responsive to your customers' needs. It also involves minimizing waste and improving the sustainability of your processes.
- When you talk about making something,…we all tend to focus on manufacturing companies.…But non-manufacturing businesses make things, too.…For example, retail stores make product displays,…restaurants make meals,…and service companies make experiences.…And no matter what you're making,…you have to understand the process…in order to manage it well.…In the SCOR model,…Make is the three top-level process.…
So let's look at the role that making products…or services plays in your supply chain.…Any time we make a product or service,…we also have to make a lot of decisions.…For example, we decide what to make,…how much to make, how to make it,…and when it make it.…I call this operations management,…but some people call it production management…or production planning and control.…Operations managers are responsible…for many of your company's assets…and their performance is measured…by the amount of stuff they're able to make…with the resources they're given.…
An operations manager might run a factory…with several expensive machines in it.…
- Explore the fundamentals of source inputs within a supply chain.
- Examine the role of returning products in a supply chain.
- Determine how to calculate total costs.
- Explore the role of investing in flexibility when managing a supply chain.
- Discover how to increase visibility with a control tower.
- Identify the role innovation plays in supply chain management.
- Examine how artificial intelligence and machine learning help to monitor supply chain trends.
- Break down the fundamentals of selecting the right technology when implementing a supply chain agenda.
- Determine the best ways to collaborate externally when implementing a supply chain agenda.