You report to a manager, your manager reports to a general manager, and they report to... whom? What do people mean when they say they got an email from "corporate"? Are franchise owners allowed to make decisions, or not? In this video, learn the ins and outs of the most popular org charts and see where your role fits in.
- You probably report to a shift manager…who might report to a store manager…who would then report to a general manager.…And then what?…When you're on the front lines,…it's easy to skate by without fully understanding…the workings of a retail operation.…It's easy to think of corporate as some abstract entity…that's only out to make your life harder.…But understanding the inner workings of a retail operation…can set you up for success in this job and a promotion…into your next job.…
So let's break it down.…Retail operations usually fall into one of three buckets.…First, some retail stores are just solo operations.…Like boutiques, there's one store with one owner…and they make the decisions.…If your retail job falls into this category,…it's usually pretty obvious who's in charge.…The owner's really involved or at the very least,…they are talked about frequently.…And there probably aren't 10 different managers…you're having to deal with.…Second, a retail store can function as part of a chain.…
In a chain, there's one owner or organization at the top.…
- Identify the major financial pillars in a retail-based business.
- Prepare for your first day by overviewing staff, products, and logistics in advance.
- Recognize the high value times to speak up and ask questions.
- Recall how to prioritize and position opportunities for improvement.
- Explore how to distinguish yourself as the most valuable player in the eyes of your boss.