Supply chain professional associations can supercharge your professional development. This includes CSCMP, APICS, ASCM, ISM, SCMA, CILT, and CIPS. Connecting with other professionals will help you grow your network beyond the folks that you interact with at work. And conferences, publications, and local events can help you stay abreast of current events and develop a deeper knowledge of supply chain topics. Each professional association has its own culture along with strengths and weaknesses. So, look at where you want to be heading with your career and then choose to get involved in the professional association that will align best with those goals.
- Martin Luther King said, … life's most persistent and urgent question … is what are you doing for others. … Being involved in a supply chain association … can be a great way to help other people … and at the same time it can supercharge … your own professional development. … Most professional associations depend on volunteers. … And I find that the time people invest … in helping out by serving on committees … and volunteering for projects … can pay huge dividends in terms of learning, … networking, and opening up new career opportunities. … For one thing, associations can help you grow your network … beyond the folks that you interact with at work. … And you can take advantage of conferences, … publications and local events to keep up … with current trends and develop a deeper knowledge … of supply chain topics. … If you choose to go after one of their certifications … then you'll get to prove your supply chain knowledge … by taking exams. … And you'll be challenged to keep learning …
- Explain the best approach for transitioning into a supply chain position.
- Determine the types of supply chain jobs that are the best fit for a given set of skills.
- Interpret the knowledge and skills needed for a supply chain job.
- Describe how to use resources for building a career roadmap in supply chain management.
- Identify concepts in building a professional development dashboard.