- Explain how to respond when a person says, “Tell me about yourself.”
- Recognize the main purpose of a pitch.
- Recall the effects of a well-delivered pitch on a potential customer.
- Identify the most important part of a pitch.
- Summarize the difference between a backstory and a background.
Skill Level Intermediate
(peppy music) - [Woman] I'm going to barge in on you. - Hello. - [Crew Member] Two, marker (clapperboard clacking) - Think about the last time someone said to you, "Tell me about yourself." Did you have a good answer for them? Like a really good answer. It's such a seemingly benign question and yet it's so loaded. How do you make a great first impression? When someone says tell me about yourself and you think "Okay I'll start at the very beginning, "let me walk you through my long and impressive resume." No one wants to hear about your resume and no one has time for a long monologue about who you are and where you've been.
The answer to the question "Tell me about yourself" is the strategy I'm going to teach you today. Which is all about leading with your destination and where you're going next with your career.