In this video, learn how to use the blizzard test during interviews to manage the fear of speaking to people, examine the needs of your audience before verbal presentations, and give the audience value in return for their time.
- There's something called the Blizzard Test. … It works like this. … Employers sit in an interview with a potential hire … and think let's imagine this person and I … were on a business trip and found ourselves at the airport … in Buffalo, New York waiting to board a plane. … Suddenly a blizzard hits. … The airport is snowed in, … and we're stuck there for eight hours. … How would I feel about this person … after spending so much time together? … Would we have bonded or would I hope … I'd never see them again for the rest of my life? … Hiring managers actually think this way. … So your ability to be articulate and engaging, … even charming, when you talk to people in the business world … is critical to your success. … A large percentage of our working life … is spent not just doing our actual job, … but interacting with the people with whom we work. … If you have a problem speaking to people, … whether it's addressing a group … or just being generally shy in conversation, … let me encourage you to get past it. …
- Understanding the 21st-century workplace
- Identifying your monetizable passion
- Knowing how to interview well
- Managing your search for work
- Negotiating salary
- Becoming a lifelong learner