Join Anil Gupta for an in-depth discussion in this video Growing Amazon: An evolutionary journey, part of Designing Growth Strategies.
- Amazon's evolutionary journey illustrates well … the systematic application of all of the ideas … for growth that we have discussed in this course. … It's an extremely impressive journey. … Jeff Besos, a Princeton graduate … and high flying analyst on Wall Street, … founded Amazon as an online bookstore in 1994. … Since then the company has diversified … into almost all corners of online retailing. … Not withstanding, diversification into new products … and services Amazon is relentless in the pursuit … of growth within existing product lines. … Illustrated well by the company's strategy … to keep growing the original book retailing business, … Amazon launched Kindle an e-book reader in 2007. … Over time Kindle has become smarter, lighter, and cheaper. … Today it dominates the market for e-book readers, … the outcome ongoing growth in the total market for books … as well as in Amazon's share offered. … Beyond book retailing Amazon has diversified aggressively … to broaden the portfolio that it sells …
- Recognize the problems a company may encounter if it does not achieve growth.
- Identify high-potential opportunities for growth.
- Identify new customers for existing products.
- Use assessment screens to choose the best opportunity.
- Evaluate partnerships and acquisitions as mechanisms to fuel growth.
- Break down the components of an effective and growth-minded leadership team.