This video helps you identify the ways in which our actions are determined by the outcome we want, which is usually to be liked. Biased behavior can’t always be banished, but it can be identified and minimized.
- Was high school fun for you?…For most people,…it was a time of desperately trying to fit in.…And if you were considered part of the in crowd,…you spent most of your time trying to stay there.…You may have found yourself agreeing with things…your friends said or did…because you thought everyone else did too,…and you didn't want to stick out.…While in hindsight, this can seem like deliberate behavior,…and not something outside of our control,…in the moment, the behavior is instinctual,…and that's what makes it unconscious bias.…
There is a genuine leap that is made by our brain…which is caused by our desire for self-preservation.…This type of judgment can lead us to make grave mistakes.…The bandwagon effect, or group think, occurs…when individuals try too hard to fit into a group,…by agreeing with the majority,…or by stifling opinions that may differ from the group.…It doesn't even have to occur in large groups.…It happens in smaller groups, too,…between co-workers, and even among family members.…In the 1950s, in a series of psychological experiments,…
- Recognize when unconscious bias occurs and why it's important to understand.
- Explore how unconscious bias is relevant in the business worlds.
- Identify three strategies to counteract potential unconscious bias.
- Define confirmation bias.
- Review the meaning of the Halo Effect.
- Explore the effects groupthink can have in a professional setting.