Learn about the specific circumstances in which positive thinking can help or hurt when you're depressed.
- When you're depressed the last thing in the world…that you want to hear is stop being so negative,…or think positively.…If it were that easy, you'd have done that a long time ago.…Not only that, research actually shows…that positive thinking isn't always good for you.…Let's talk more about that.…When you're depressed you want to apply…the principles of positive psychology,…not positive thinking.…Positive psychology advocates taking the good with the bad.…
Positive thinking implies that there's no bad at all.…And that's not realistic.…Think about looking on the bright side when you are stuck,…stymied, hopeless, or disinterested in your work.…The earlier you correct excessive negativity, the better.…And positive psychology can help you with that.…First, you might ask why look on the bright side?…Well, when you do it can increase your motivation,…self-control, resilience, and well-being.…
So let's talk about some of the principles…of positive psychology and how you can use…these techniques when you're feeling down.…
- Recognize the symptoms of depression.
- Explain the process of reframing.
- Identify the most effective type of distraction.
- Recall how to avoid biased thinking when you’re depressed.
- Name the strategy used to empathize with others when you are depressed.
- Explain how long it takes for people to recover from depression.