Identifying your passion is the first step in creating a career plan. In this video, discover how to monetize and make a career out of your passions by adjusting your career goals to accommodate your passions and examining larger trends in the economy to determine if there is a market for what you want to do.
- The next phase in creating your career plan … is to determine if you can generate revenue … from your passion, what I've termed monetizable passion. … In other words, just because you love doing something … doesn't mean you can make a living at it. … The first step is to determine … if you can monetize your passion. … For example, you may love oil painting, … but discover that that's not a sustainable career. … So you become a graphic design teacher … and that buys you the time you need to devote … to your painting in the evenings and on weekends. … I want you to think of yourself as a wagon wheel. … The hub is your core brand or skillset. … If you were, say, Apple, that might be … that you manufacture and sell electronic devices. … If you were Coca-Cola you bottle and market beverages. … In this example, let's use musician as the hub. … The spokes extending from that hub are the various ways … you can derive income from your talents. … This might include studio musician, … touring musician, teacher, which could mean …
- Understanding the 21st-century workplace
- Identifying your monetizable passion
- Knowing how to interview well
- Managing your search for work
- Negotiating salary
- Becoming a lifelong learner