Simon explains the importance of having a mentor, how to find one, and gives tools and recommendations to build, support, and leverage the relationship.
- A mentor is to the business person … what a coach is to an athlete. … Mentors help you perform at your peak level … by giving you insight on how to win. … However, the greatest challenge about mentorship … is finding the right one … and knowing how to make that connection. … Let's look at what you need to do to make that happen. … First, map our your career path from where you are … to where you want to be. … For example, when a friend of mine created a career map … from their current middle management role, … to one day becoming a vice president, … they realized there were three areas … that they needed to grow in. … They were operational excellence, financial intelligence, … and human capital. … Once you know that you can identify a person … that's mastered what you want to learn. … A good way to find the right person … is to read the annual report if your company … is publicly traded. … If it's privately held, then ask colleagues … who may work in that area, who is the subject matter expert. …
- Explain the importance of giving a good first impression.
- Recognize the importance of creating a shared bond.
- Identify tools for building relationships online.
- Recognize the right time to become a mentor to someone else.
- Name the factors that will help you identify the sweet spot for creating a project that serves both you and your organization.