- Describe line items that appear on financial statements.
- Differentiate between the three types of financial statements.
- Interpret current accounting issues and trends.
- Calculate the market capitalization of a company.
- Identify the most important expense for a retail company.
- Explain the use of common size financial statements.
Skill Level Beginner
- What do you think when you hear the term accounting? - Lots of people get excited, people like us, because they appreciate the power of numbers and the discipline and rigor required to produce accounting information. - And others roll their eyes and say, "I'm not a numbers person." - Let us let you in on a little secret. You don't have to be a numbers person to appreciate the value of financial accounting. - And, in fact, when you know a little about accounting you know a lot more than most. - [Kay] Financial statements, what they are and why they're important, this course dives into that topic. - [Jim] What to do with financial statements and the insights from some simple ratios, you will experience and appreciate the power of some simple analysis. - [Kay] The magic of the accounting system, debits and credits, we will take the mystery out of those terms. - [Jim] And we will introduce some of the current hot topics in accounting. - There are things happening in accounting right now that have been brewing for decades and are coming to a head even as we speak. - Hi, I'm Jim Stice. - And I'm Kay Stice. - Join us on LinkedIn Learning and learn how accounting affects business, how business affects accounting, and how you can apply some simple accounting knowledge to increase your value to your business.