See why failing to communicate project objectives is a pitfall. Follow a set of steps to reduce the likelihood of your vendor misinterpreting the purpose of what you're asking for.
- Garbage in, garbage out. … That's an old expression meaning … that what you get out of something can only be as good … as what you put into it in the first place. … In the same light, … if you don't clearly communicate what you want, … you could very well end up getting garbage … out of your procurements. … And since money is being spent with external parties, … this could turn out to be a costly mistake. … It sounds like common sense, … but common sense isn't always common. … You might think you know what you want, … but you might not clearly communicate it to your vendor. … This is where the potential disconnect begins … between what you perceive the project objectives to be … and what your vendor perceives them to be. … As good as your vendor might be, … I'm willing to bet they're not good mind readers. … And since they're not mind readers, … if you don't make your intentions clear, … they'll try to interpret what you want, … a.k.a. read your mind. … This is a recipe for disaster. …
- Describe the procurement manager’s role in the procurement process.
- Explore the essentials of good communication with vendors.
- Examine the steps in a contract change control system.
- Identify risks that might arise in a project.
- Define the purpose of a closeout meeting.
Skill Level Intermediate
Project Management Foundations: Integrationwith Oliver Yarbrough44m 25s Intermediate
Project Management Foundations: Scheduleswith Bonnie Biafore2h 7m Intermediate
Project Management Foundationswith Bonnie Biafore3h 20m Beginner
What to know before watching1m 27s
1. Procurement Management Overview
2. Common Procurement Pitfalls
3. Critical Procurement Success Factors
4. Procurement Management Processes
5. How to Implement Procurements
6. Emerging Trends: Project Procurement Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.