Learn how to examine the process for promotions, as well as the best timing. Discover how to analyze the criteria for promotions in organizations. Determine the culture and your ability to get promoted in your organization.
- If you're satisfied with most aspects of your career…but want more responsibility, money and prestige.…You'll need to seek a higher level role.…How you obtain this role will be different…based on the industry…and company that you currently work in.…There are several aspects you need to examine…before deciding on the next steps to move up in your career.…The first step is to understand the promotion process…within your organization.…There are two methods, in some organizations…like law firms or management consulting organizations…there will be a transparent…and formal process for moving up in your career.…
In this scenario you want to make sure that you're aware…of the specific criteria that's necessary,…for the next promotion.…However there are also intangible cultural nuances…that you need to learn as well.…For instance, the requirements may be related…to years on the job, or a specific skill set…but what's not explicit is the type of project…that gives you the most visibility.…In most organizations you won't find a formal process…
- Name the norms that are used to define success.
- Cite the importance of exploring new work roles mid-career.
- Define a parallel career.
- Summarize the salary considerations you should take into account when changing careers.
- Identify the factors that can lead to a promotion.
- Explain how to play to your strengths.