At the heart of it, innovation is about experimentation. Experimenting as a team involves taking action, learning from results, continual development, assessing impact, and actively seeking feedback. Treating product, service, or process development as an experiment encourages the team to collectively test ideas and outputs, gathering as many differing observational perspectives as possible.
- At the heart of it, innovation is about experimentation.…When creating something new, you won't know at the start…of the process exactly how to achieve a successful outcome.…The key is treating the process as an experiment,…coming up with ideas, testing new approaches,…reviewing impacts and progress, and learning from…each stage of development.…Elon Musk is an advocate of solving problems…by not assuming anything.…
Instead, you break an issue down into…the most basic parts and build a potential…solution from there in order to test an approach.…Often at SpaceX, they will simulate approaches,…which is part of the experimenting phase.…The whole point of experimenting is learning…from the results.…This is how scientists develop new ideas and theories,…and it works in exactly the same way…in a commercial environment.…
Once you've gone through the idea generation stage,…there are key steps involved with experimenting as a team.…Firstly, deciding on what action to take,…planning how to do this, and then taking action.…
- Recognize how team innovation impacts a company’s success.
- Define the psychological components of team innovation, including the challengers, executors, and enablers.
- Determine the component strengths of team innovation.
- Examine the best ways to accept bias.
- Explore the effect of experimentation on innovation.
- Recognize the impact of reflection on innovation.
- Identify the fundamentals of creating a space for an innovation team to thrive.
- Determine the best ways to create an innovation charter.
- Break down the importance learning on the move, which helps helps a successful team innovate to grow.