Supply chain skills can lead to executive roles in a company. Some of the most prominent examples are Apple's CEO Tim Cook and GM's Mary Barra. At the executive level, you get paid a lot, but there is also a lot of responsibility. You need to make sure that the company, as a whole, is meeting its commitments to your employees, your customers, and your shareholders. Before you get to the CEO spot, there are roles like Chief Operating Officer, Chief Procurement Officer, and Chief Supply Chain Officer. Many of the key financial metrics for a company are lagging indicators that are the result of supply chain performance. Understanding how the supply chain works, from the ground up, can be great preparation for making big decisions at the top of the organizational pyramid. There are roles for virtually any kind of professional to focus on supply chain management. There are accountants who specialized in preparing business plans and measuring financial performance and lawyers who specialize in writing contracts for supply chain services. There are sustainability experts who focus on ways to reduce resources like water and wastes like carbon emissions and there are real estate specialists and economic development folks who focus on where to locate factories and distribution centers.
- There are a lot of professional and executive roles … throughout a supply chain. … In fact, many big corporations have created a role … for the chief supply chain officer, … and executives with supply chain backgrounds are often … good candidates to become the CEO. … Tim Cook from Apple, Mary Barra from GM, … and lots of other CEOs came up through the supply chain, … but let's look at how supply chain management can be useful … for other career specialties, too. … There are lawyers who specialize in supply chain issues. … I've worked with attorneys who are experts … in writing contracts for logistic services … and with others who focus … on handling intellectual property issues with suppliers. … There are accountants who have expertise in dealing … with activity-based costing and inventory valuations. … There are real estate professionals … who use their logistics knowledge to help clients … with site selection for new facilities. … There are human resources professionals … who focus on recruiting and staffing for manufacturing, …
- Explain the best approach for transitioning into a supply chain position.
- Determine the types of supply chain jobs that are the best fit for a given set of skills.
- Interpret the knowledge and skills needed for a supply chain job.
- Describe how to use resources for building a career roadmap in supply chain management.
- Identify concepts in building a professional development dashboard.