Gain insights about the overarching concept of this course: how leaders can use counterintuitive strategies to achieve breakthrough performance. Explore the concepts to be covered and the impact of making unconventional leadership choices in an environment that is digitally overwhelmed and moving at an unprecedented pace.
- Today, the rules for leadership success have radically changed, which makes sense if you consider the seismic shifts in the business environment, from artificial-intelligence-driven solutions, to big data revelations. There's also more uncertainty, more chaos, and constant pressure, enormous expectations. The fact is, the traditional etched-in-stone wisdom that molded leadership for years is becoming less and less effective. The old rules simply don't have the same impact in the new environment. So what's the solution? It's not as simple as just throwing out the old rules and creating new ones. It's about recognizing which approach will maximize our performance in a particular situation. We need to develop the insights to know when to follow the conventional leadership rules and when to break them. I'll be the first to admit that it's tough to undo all that brain-muscle memory. Change isn't easy. Those leadership habits have become deeply ingrained. The behaviors and patterns are almost automatic, even involuntary. Despite that, we're now seeing a group of innovative, modern leaders who are successfully rising to the challenge of making those changes. They are performing at extraordinary levels because they aren't afraid to defy conventional wisdom, to take a different approach, maybe even one that is counterintuitive, the exact opposite of their competitors. So what does that mean for you? The foundation for applying this new approach starts with analyzing your current one. It's critical to recognize when following the old leadership rules could be holding you back, even blocking your success. To help you identify some of those areas, I'd like you to download the PDF titled Self-Assessment. Please rank yourself in the different categories and add up your totals in each section. We'll be referring back to this later in the course. With that completed, you'll be ready to drive in to the specific strategies that are transforming buy-the-book leaders into modern thinkers. As you'll quickly see, leadership success today requires a willingness to let go of your dependence on the old rules and an attitude that dares to defy conventional thinking.
- Adopting the strategic pause
- Disrupting your thinking
- Balancing hard data with soft intelligence
- Reevaluating your to-do list
- Communicating to influence and engage
- Approaching challenges as a novice
- Blazing new trails
- Conquering the chaos
- Enduring leadership attributes