Brené Brown explains how empathy is a powerful leadership tool that connects us to our followers. Learn the unique principles of empathy and how to practice it.
- Have you ever heard the expression, … it's lonely at the top? … This is certainly true for leaders … but the walls of isolation can trap all of us. … Isolation is associated with lower productivity, … diminished creativity and poor decisions. … One of our deepest needs is to feel connected to others. … For that reason, experts have drawn a clear relationship … between leadership and empathy. … Let's look at how empathy contrasts with sympathy, … how empathy helps leaders … and ways to put it into practice. … Empathy is not a standalone model … but it is an essential quality of effective leadership. … Brene Brown, leadership expert, … contrasts sympathy with empathy. … She says sympathy drives disconnection. … Sympathy is feeling a sense of pity … for someone else's situation. … Sympathy says, "Oh, you poor thing. … "You're in a real bind." … In this way, it creates a barrier between people. … In contrast, Brene says empathy connects us. … Empathy is about making ourselves vulnerable …
- Summarize the advantages of an autocratic leadership style.
- Recognize the disadvantages of a democratic leadership style.
- Identify the characteristics of a servant leader.
- Determine when the inclusive leadership style should be implemented.
- List the five characteristics of authentic leaders.