Ecommerce has led to a major disruption in the way distribution works, especially so for retailers. Rather than sending bulk items to a store where customers handle last mile delivery, the retailers now have fulfillment centers and provide last mile delivery using 3PLs. This has shifted the cost of pick, pack, and ship from the customer to the retailer. It has changed the economics and the operational processes in distribution networks. It has also allowed retailers to sell to customers without needing to invest in opening brick and mortar stores. The emergence of bricks and clicks business models continues to be a challenge for retailers, and it is a trend that supply chain managers need to monitor.
- One of my friends likes to say that everything…about supply chain management…is completely logical and rational, except the customers.…One of the biggest challenges we face…is that customer expectations change quickly.…This is especially true for retail products…where a supply chain that was excellent…just a few years ago, can seem slow,…impersonal, and expensive today.…Let's look at how technology…is changing the retail marketplace.…Then, we can explore some ways to engage with our customers…and adapt to their changing requirements.…
We'll start by looking at social media.…Social media amplifies consumer behavior…by making it easy to share product reviews,…recommendations, and endorsements.…In any social network, there are influencers,…people who have a huge audience of followers.…When an influencer recommends a product,…the result can be a huge surge in sales.…But if an influencer provides a negative review,…it can do huge damage to your brand.…
So tracking influencers can help you…understand historical trends,…
- Explore the fundamentals of source inputs within a supply chain.
- Examine the role of returning products in a supply chain.
- Determine how to calculate total costs.
- Explore the role of investing in flexibility when managing a supply chain.
- Discover how to increase visibility with a control tower.
- Identify the role innovation plays in supply chain management.
- Examine how artificial intelligence and machine learning help to monitor supply chain trends.
- Break down the fundamentals of selecting the right technology when implementing a supply chain agenda.
- Determine the best ways to collaborate externally when implementing a supply chain agenda.