Getting the right people and the right chemistry is more important than getting the right idea according to Ed Catmull, President at Pixar. It's important to focus on individual creativity and innovation capabilities as a starting point, but the true innovation magic occurs when the collective blend of people is strong, diverse, and synergistic.
- Research has pointed to one crucial factor…in creating innovative teams, and that's diversity.…A successfully innovative team consists of people…with different experiences, personalities,…capabilities, strengths, ideas, and networks all creating…what Ed Catmull, the President of Pixar Animation Studios,…refers to as the right chemistry for innovation.…In fact, this chemistry of blending different types…of individuals is actually far more important…than coming up with the right idea.…
When we think of innovation, we often imagine…an individual or a team finding that one-off…groundbreaking idea or concept.…But in reality, that isn't really how…the innovative process works.…It's much more likely a team of people will test…and play with many ideas.…Making tweaks and adjustments along the way.…Through a process of trial and error,…a viable concept is then born.…The idea that one random spark of imagination sets…the course for a successful and innovative product,…service, or process is a little outdated.…
If you consider great scientists…
- Recognize how team innovation impacts a company’s success.
- Define the psychological components of team innovation, including the challengers, executors, and enablers.
- Determine the component strengths of team innovation.
- Examine the best ways to accept bias.
- Explore the effect of experimentation on innovation.
- Recognize the impact of reflection on innovation.
- Identify the fundamentals of creating a space for an innovation team to thrive.
- Determine the best ways to create an innovation charter.
- Break down the importance learning on the move, which helps helps a successful team innovate to grow.