Explore the role of ongoing learning and education resources that increase you and your team’s influence, growth, and reputation.
- In Daniel Pink's book Drive he talks about … how people are more motivated by their ability … to direct their lives than they are by money. … What that research means to me … is that people want to know that they have value … and that they matter. … These are people who want to learn … and put that learning to the test and stretch. … So, let's talk about what stretch opportunities … might look like in your organization. … The first kind of stretch opportunity … is learning and education. … When you first start coaching your employees, … be sure to ask what their educational goals are … and see if you can find ways to meet them. … Informal opportunities include workshops, … conferences, certification courses, … and online resources like webinars and e-learning. … And then there's formal education. … In some companies, getting an undergrad … or even advanced degree like an MBA … might be an employee benefit. … With any of the learning choices … your employees want to tackle, … here are some power tips to remember. …
- Recall methods for probing deeper in conversations with employees.
- Determine which aspect of a challenge to avoid when determining the challenge an employee can undertake.
- Recognize questions that generate the greatest number of ideas during a brainstorming session.
- Explain the advantage of using focused feedback with an employee.
- Identify the potential benefits of listening and using open-ended questions with an employee who is unhappy with her or her job.