In this video, Simon teaches you how to seek out cross-departmental collaboration. He shares how to get your boss on board, seek to add value to your own team through the collaboration, and learn from other departments.
- Michael Jordan once said, "Talent wins games, … "but teamwork and intelligence win championships." … In business, your individual talent will bring you … small wins, but to really make an impact, … you'll need to collaborate. … But it can be a challenge to gain access … to cross-departmental projects or opportunities … because often those teams are hand selected. … Let's get into the best ways you can go about … getting on those teams and making an impact in your company. … First, get approval from your current leader … to join a cross-departmental project. … You don't want to catch them off guard … if all of a sudden you're on a project, … but they wanted you working on something else. … Explain your intention … and how it supports your own department. … Maybe you'll learn something you can bring back … to your team, or you'll get your team … some notoriety within the company. … When you're asking for time away, … it's vital to communicate the value you'll bring back. … Then seek understanding. …
- Explain the importance of giving a good first impression.
- Recognize the importance of creating a shared bond.
- Identify tools for building relationships online.
- Recognize the right time to become a mentor to someone else.
- Name the factors that will help you identify the sweet spot for creating a project that serves both you and your organization.