Admirable leadership starts with understanding your personality and character. Being aware of your habits helps you in positioning a positive leadership presence. Learn about how to take steps to be fully attentive and aware of your overall conduct.
- [Narrator] Recently, I took an assessment called the Thomas Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument, respectively also known as TKI. The assessment is designed to assess an individual's behavior in conflict situations using two dimensions. Those dimensions are assertiveness and cooperativeness. Well, these two dimensions are defined by five behavior methods that includes competing, collaborating, compromising, avoiding, and accommodating. To make a long story short, my highest score was competing. I love this assessment because it tells you the signs to watch out for when overusing or underusing conflict behaviors, which brings me to this point. It is critical to be aware of your personal behaviors. Being conscious in assertive leadership is important. Here's an example. As stated earlier, my natural behavior in conflict is competing. This means I naturally want to win the conflict. And leadership is not about winning. It is about taking the good with the bad in an effort to have the best outcomes for your people and the business. Because I am aware of my natural tendency of competing, I can adjust my behavior so I can make better decisions. This lesson will focus on three key points that you as a leader can embrace to be conscious, attentive, and aware of how you behave and lead others. First as a leader, it is so easy to fall into reactionary behaviors like answering questions immediately or responding to a situation without giving much thought to the effect it will have on others. Conscious leadership is the opposite because it involves you curbing those reactionary behaviors so you can think and act strategically and in an engaging manner. So don't be quick to react. Tap into being conscious so you can make the right choices. Second, conscious leadership helps you in doing business the proper way. Being strategic is important, but doing business ethically and with integrity always stands out. The best way for you as a leader and your business to shine is to be consciously doing business right. Finally, leadership is not just about you. It's about the people, the product, the business, and the customers. So to be conscious in leadership is to sincerely and authentically honor the people and the business. Doing this will make you as a leader, your team, and the business stand out. Now is the time to start consciously living. I would like for you to begin journaling your thoughts. For the thoughts that are counter to you leading with integrity, write out alternative actions you can implement that will give you the best outcome. Doing this will help you grow as a leader.
This audio-only course was created by Madecraft. We are pleased to host this content in our library.
- Defining assertive leadership
- Being self-aware and socially aware
- Demonstrating empathy
- Communicating effectively
- Leading with purpose
- Maintaining influence
- Leading with authenticity and integrity