Difficult team members can be among the most important relationships you have. Simon explains how to shape the way you think about difficult team members and how to learn from the relationship.
- Have you ever had a work relationship … where you feel like you just can't see … eye to eye with someone, … and conflict happens regularly? … If you've ever worked with difficult team members, … then you know they can make you feel … like your stuck in a terrible cycle. … But these people can help you grow … as you work on communication and empathy. … Soon, you'll understand how to manage … difficult relationships at work … so that you can come out ahead. … Start by seeing a difficult team member … through what I call the lens of brilliance. … Write down everything that's right about this person. … Maybe you feel like this person … has a negative attitude … but you acknowledge that they always think … through all the details. … Even if you think someone is downright out to get you, … you can think of at least one to three things … that are strengths or that they do well. … Going through the exercise is not going to change … the fact that this person is difficult to work with. … What it's going to do is change …
- Explain the importance of giving a good first impression.
- Recognize the importance of creating a shared bond.
- Identify tools for building relationships online.
- Recognize the right time to become a mentor to someone else.
- Name the factors that will help you identify the sweet spot for creating a project that serves both you and your organization.