Learn how to communicate respectfully across cultures. Discover tips for how to ensure your body language, approach, and behaviors are considerate and mindful of other cultures.
- [Instructor] Hello, my name is Luna Checchini, and no, telling me which of your pets is named Luna is not a good ice breaker. Still, it happens to me all the time. Many of you may have experienced a language barrier when traveling. Say for example, you've ordered a pepperoni pizza in Italy and were served the pizza with peppers, 'cause that's what pepperoni means in Italian. Well, that's only one source of misunderstandings.
As an Italian teacher of ESL and Italian, I lived and worked in the US, Canada, and UK, before opening my own language school in Italy. I've had the chance to work with teachers and students from all around the world. And I've lived and heard about so many embarrassing situations that I want to give you as many tips as I can to avoid them, and improve your working life. So let's get ready to embark on this journey around the world of social interactions.
- Distinguish between time-conscious and non-time-conscious countries.
- Identify countries and cultures which have different concepts of formality and hierarchy.
- Identify countries and cultures which have different levels of comfort regarding personal space.
- List gestures that can be problematic in a multinational environment.
- Give examples of topics that are sensitive in some countries and not in others.