Learn how to address the cultural and linguistic challenges that can crop up in international workplaces. Get tips and techniques for communicating more effectively with your multinational team.
- Ciao. That's the most popular Italian greeting, right? Well, it would be inappropriate to use it with your Italian boss. It's just too informal. Instead, you can say bongiorno, which means good morning. Knowing the subtle cultural facts can impact communication in any multicultural business setting. In fact, misunderstandings often happen because of not only linguistic issues, but even more more importantly, cultural issues. I'm Luna Checchini, and after many years of teaching English and Italian around Europe and North America, I now manage my own language school. I'll draw from my personal experience and from my students', friends', and colleagues' stories to make multinational communication easier. I'll provide managers and employees with practical tips and strategies to overcome the cultural obstacles. Let's get started.
- Identify some multicultural issues that might arise during lunch or dinner meetings with international colleagues.
- Explain how to handle various language-barrier issues with colleagues.
- Recall ways to simplify your language.
- Summarize the benefits of the chat function for communicating with colleagues.
- Describe ways to communicate effectively with foreign colleagues through email.