Learn the characteristics of collaborative leadership. Learn how these leaders create a collaborative spirit, foster relationships and connections across boundaries, and promote teamwork. Evaluate your own collaborative skills.
- I'm always fascinated when I watch a conductor … lead an orchestra. … They wave their arms and shake their baton … to do the impossible, … get 100 individual musicians to sound great together. … Like with music, collaboration in other areas … requires a good leader. … So let's look at what … the collaborative leadership perspective has to offer. … We'll first contrast it with … the traditional view of management … and then see what collaboration looks like in action. … First, it's different than old fashioned management … that focuses on control. … So at the top of the pyramid … the executives give orders, … in the middle directors and managers … push those directives down. … The front line supervisors and employees comply. … Each part of the organization is a silo … and most work is done at the individual level. … In contrast, collaborative leaders think outside … of that pyramid. … They see the organization as an interdependent system. … A collaborative leader gets people out of their silos …
- Summarize the advantages of an autocratic leadership style.
- Recognize the disadvantages of a democratic leadership style.
- Identify the characteristics of a servant leader.
- Determine when the inclusive leadership style should be implemented.
- List the five characteristics of authentic leaders.