- Recall methods for probing deeper in conversations with employees.
- Determine which aspect of a challenge to avoid when determining the challenge an employee can undertake.
- Recognize questions that generate the greatest number of ideas during a brainstorming session.
- Explain the advantage of using focused feedback with an employee.
- Identify the potential benefits of listening and using open-ended questions with an employee who is unhappy with her or her job.
Skill Level Intermediate
- Okay, here's a crazy piece of data. According to Gallup, only 15% of employees are truly engaged in their work. So that means that the other 85% are just painting by numbers or actively disengaged and looking for the exit sign. What data like this seems to point to is that leaders and managers aren't quite sure how to navigate the messy terrain of employee development, and employees aren't clear about growth opportunities available to them. In the either direction, the path is not clear. So let's change all that. Hi, I'm Lisa Gates, a leadership and negotiation coach, and co-founder of She Negotiates. And in my work with clients who are managers of people, I began to notice a pattern, lots of micromanaging, and the belief that giving direction and advice and coaching were basically the same thing, and I am here to tell you that they are not. In this course, I'll be making the distinction between coaching and direction-giving very clear. And to do that, I'll be demonstrating simple coaching practices, along with tools aimed at increasing your productivity and results, and helping your people grow and thrive. You'll stop doing the heavy lifting, free up the time to focus on what's important, and you'll give your people the clarity and growth they're hungry for.