The demand for any product or service starts with a customer. Think about everything involved in designing, operating, and supporting a retail store. From the cashiers to the stockers, everyone in the store plays a critical part in delivering the products, services, and experiences that your customers are paying for. And understanding what really goes on in the store is often critical to finding ways to improve supply chain processes upstream in manufacturing, packaging, transportation, and distribution. Many of the largest supply chains in the world support retail stores. Individuals tend to think of retail as "brick and mortar" jobs, but increasingly retail also involves fulfilling orders online via last mile delivery or in-store pickup.
- Many of the largest supply chains … in the world support retail stores. … Just think about companies like Wal-Mart, … Target, and Amazon. … So a good place to start thinking … about supply chain careers is … with something most people can relate to … pretty easily, shopping. … Customers buy stuff, right? … Well, in supply chain terms, we call that demand, … and the demand in a retail store if often what drive … all of the demand through an entire supply chain. … When the customer buys something, … that's demand for the retailer. … Then the retailer buys things from a wholesaler, … which is their demand, … and it goes on like that, step by step, … up the entire supply chain. … In a brick and mortar store, … there are a lot of jobs that affect the amount of demand … that will be generated for the supply chain. … We can start with the easy ones. … Cashiers make sure that people pay for the items they buy, … and stockers receive shipments and put products … on the shelf. … Both of these are actually critical jobs …
- Explain the best approach for transitioning into a supply chain position.
- Determine the types of supply chain jobs that are the best fit for a given set of skills.
- Interpret the knowledge and skills needed for a supply chain job.
- Describe how to use resources for building a career roadmap in supply chain management.
- Identify concepts in building a professional development dashboard.