Simon explains how to build relationships with an executive audience. He discusses how you can create access, understanding, and opportunities for connection with this group, even though you may not see them in your day-to-day.
- You probably already know that building relationships … with executives can really advance your career. … The problem is you may not have access to them, … or maybe you don't know how to build that relationship. … I totally get it, … so I'm going to walk you through how to do just that. … You can't build a relationship with someone you don't know, … so we'll start there. … Simply ask someone you do know for an email introduction. … That way, even if those executives work … in a different building or even in another country, … you can still meet them virtually. … But make sure you communicate why you want to meet them … when asking for that intro. … That reason could be as simple as, … I want to grow in this company, and I'd like to learn more … about this person's leadership journey. … This will make it clear … that you're not going to ask for something, … you just want to get to know the executive … and learn about them. … That'll help your colleague feel comfortable … in making the introduction. …
- Explain the importance of giving a good first impression.
- Recognize the importance of creating a shared bond.
- Identify tools for building relationships online.
- Recognize the right time to become a mentor to someone else.
- Name the factors that will help you identify the sweet spot for creating a project that serves both you and your organization.