Achieve your career plans by expanding your network. In this video, learn how to build your network by becoming a resource for others to find jobs. Develop a marketing sensibility, so that whenever you hear about the needs of someone in your network, your mind immediately goes to someone you know who may be able to help them find a solution.
- If it hasn't happened already, … there will come a time in your life when you're giving back, … when it's no longer about asking for work … but being the nexus, the resource for others, … sometimes helping them to find jobs. … This role is not determined by age, … you can begin it now. … As you collect information on your contacts, … you'll begin to amass information on them … that may have no immediate impact on your business life … but may help you deepen the relationship … with those people over time. … For example, let's say one of the things you've learned … about your colleague, let's call him Bill, … is that he collects antique cars. … That is something you personally have no interest in, … nor will you necessarily remember that it's Bill who does. … But when you read or hear something about antique cars, … you can search your database and Bill's name will come up. … A few months later, when your friend Carl, … who also collects cars, … is in desperate need of a new mechanic, …
- Understanding the 21st-century workplace
- Identifying your monetizable passion
- Knowing how to interview well
- Managing your search for work
- Negotiating salary
- Becoming a lifelong learner